The cruciform cathedral inspired by French Gothic architecture was designed by Leon Coquard of Detroit, and completed by Denver architects, Aaron Gove and Thomas Walsh. It is 195 feet by 116 feet in length and width with a vaulted ceiling rising 68 feet above the slightly sloping nave. The church originally seated 1,000 but after remodeling it seats 800. The bell spires were capped at 210 feet in 1911. The foundation is of Gunnison granite; the exterior walls Indiana limestone; and much of the interior structural marble is from Marble, Colorado. The finest Carrara marble from Italy was used for the altars, pedestals, statues, pulpit, bishop's throne and communion rail. At the top of each interior column, a trinity of ribs spring from a cluster of marble wheat and grapes. These ribs support the Gothic vaulted ceiling.
The east spire contains 15 bells. The four main bells are rung before and after all the Masses on Sunday and on special occasions. The stained glass windows on the west spire depict the symbols of the four major prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel; the east spire windows show the symbols of the four evangelist: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
The baptismal font in the vestibule has the original communion rail around it. Busts of popes of the 19th century are in the east side of the vestibule and the statue of St. Anthony of Padua is on the west side of the vestibule.
The front doors are made of brass. The two side doors have the episcopal insignia -miter and crosier while the center doors have the papal insignia-miter with two keys.
Stained Glass Windows
Our windows are considered some of the finest in the world. There are 75 windows – more than any other church of any denomination in America. F.X. Zettler crafted the windows in Munich, Germany at the Royal Bavarian Art Institute (the firm and its secret for exquisite stained glass were destroyed during World War II). Mr. Zettler was a chemist who was known for his unique ability to craft beautiful colors and dyes. With monumental effect, Zettler oversaw 50 artisans who worked to craft our windows. In 1912 the total cost of the 75 windows were $34,000. Today, just one transept window would cost over $500,000.